Friday, April 3, 2009

Where does God fit?

Since when does it violate a person's consitutional rights to say marriage should only be between a man and a woman? ... Well, I guess since this country stopped following God's law and made our own.

It discourages me to think that people are still so desparately trying to get whatever they want whenever they want it. This country was founded on the basis of freedom, yes, but all too often we take that idea and stretch it to fit our own needs. Our founders wanted religious freedom, so no one is allowed to say anything about religion in any public place. Except doesn't that go against our freedom of speech?? Life in this country was supposed to be good and free and happy--and it is. People give up everything, even their lives, just for a chance to be in our country. But this country was also founded because the pilgrims did not like the government of England dictating their lives. Yet, our country is doing exactly that. Maybe not to the same extent as England, but times have changed. Nevertheless, our government believes it has a right, no a duty, to tell us what we can and cannot do. I'm not talking about laws such as the ones against murder and stealing and other various crimes. I'm not talking about traffic lights and stop signs and speed limits. Those laws are in place to protect us as citizens and I respect that. What I am talking about is our government saying kids can't pray in school, this school can have money but that one can't, etc.

Yet our government still doesn't even follow that. It seems to me our government can't decide whether it wants us to be free and do what we want or rule our lives. No one is allowed to murder anyone under any circumstance, oh, unless it is an unborn child. Then the mother has a right to murder her child. Say WHAT?? A mother has a RIGHT to murder her child? No religion is to be brought into the schools or workplace at all. However, if a company has people who practice anything other than Christianity, then they can take any days off that are for their religion. BUT, if those same people want to work on Christmas Day, then by all means, those who actually celebrate Christmas must work as well. Does that make any sense to anyone, really??

I realize running a government is a very difficult job to have. I'm not wanting to run for any office. However, I think it is high time that our government decide whether it wants us to be our own people or be puppets of the government. Honestly, I don't think it should be either. Those are the extremes. There should be laws and rules in place; they are necessary to protect us. I don't want everyone doing whatever they want; that's not the answer. Our world would be chaotic like that. But what happened to following God's law? When did it become okay to murder your own child if you felt it would cause problems?? When did it become okay to be intimate with someone of the same sex?? When did our world decide it had a better chance of happiness and success without God??

I am by no means saying that I know the right way or always do the right thing. Far from it. I mess up just as much as the next person and am constantly fighting my self. But I know and believe wholeheartedly that God does know the right way and God does know what is best for me and for you. I may not like where He takes me or how he gets me there, but in the end, it doesn't matter. God wants me, all of me. He created me. He knew who I was, what I was going to be like, how many hairs I would have on my head, before I even existed. What right have I to go against Him? What right have I to decide what should happen in my life, when my life wouldn't even exist without Him?

God is the Creator of this world and everything in it and the entire universe. You know, sometimes I think we forget that. We say, oh yeah, God created this world and everything in it. We may even say, yes, God created the stars and the moon and sun and planets. But it stops there. It stops with what we know and can see around us. But God didn't stop there. God created an entire universe full of things we can't ever hope to comprehend. Why must we always limit Him and His power? Why must we always think we can understand and comprehend God? We can't. Our minds are far too small and narrow to ever comprehend the smallest part of God. Yet, He wants to be a part of our lives. He wants to reveal Himself to us. So, where does God fit? God doesn't fit anywhere; you can't fit God into a box. But He can be a part of our lives, if we let Him. I want Him to be a part of my life...scratch that. I want Him to be my life. Do you?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

WELL SAID!!!

Sara said...

Kendra,
I respect your beliefs, but the church does not dictate the laws of the country. People in religious institutions have the right to determine what they will or will not allow in their churches. They do not have the right to dictate those beliefs to the rest of society. The government is not run by the laws of God. If it were, we would live in a theocracy, just like those in the middle-east. You are free to practice your religion in our country. You have that right. If you lived elsewhere, you would not. If you choose to live by a certain creed or core beliefs, nothing in this country is stopping you from doing so. I hope you can understand why I would say this. The government is not creating puppets. The government is actually allowing people to live their lives as they choose. It is not making you do something that you do not want to do. Does that makes sense? I hope that you take time to really reflect on whether this really affects your faith or your rights. We are all children of God, not just some of us.

Sara